Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Gargoyle

Pin It

I can’t stand it when I don’t finish the book I have started. It doesn’t happen too often but once in a while I just can’t find a connection with the characters or I can’t connect with the story so I just see no need to go on. Sadly that is what happened with The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I had such high expectations for this book because so many people had told me how great the story was, but I just don’t see it. I was disturbed by this book from the get go when the main character is being burned alive in a car accident. I am sure it is because my husband, Brendan, is a fire fighter and being burned alive is the worst thing I can think of happening to him. From that point on I couldn’t really concentrate on the story too much.


I am not going to go in to any details on this one, but I will say it was very well written and if the story was about anything else but a burn patient I would probably have been able to finish it and probably would have enjoyed it too!


The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson

5 comments:

  1. I can totally see why you wouldn't be able to finish this book, way to close for comfort!
    Honest reviews is what it is all about , and you gave it!
    Ü

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have almost bought this book about five times but never did. I'm not sure what made me pick it up and then change my mind all those times but it sounds like maybe I made a good decision. Does anyone else have a different opinion about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I just think it hit a little too close to home for me. But Fictionfanatic, don't discount it. It really is written very well and I enjoyed the writing. The story line was interesting but I couldn't get past the burn unit. You may love it and if you read it and enjoy it post back here and let us know! I am sure a lot of people would think it was a good read!

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might still give it a try somewhere down the line. I'll let you know what I think if I do! I can definitely see why you wouldn't exactly be thrilled about the subject of it!

    (This is Fiction Fanatic, I signed in with my Google account...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We struggled with it too. Perhaps you would be interested in checking out our review:

    http://letitread.blogspot.com/2010/04/book-review-andrew-davidson-gargoyle.html

    ReplyDelete